Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Solids & More

A week ago Saturday, I tried feeding Gabe rice cereal.  He definitely wanted to eat the food & got excited about just the spoon.  However, he was not very excited about the mostly liquid concoction they recommend you start with.  After a few bites he didn't want to keep eating.  He just gave me this look that said "Why am I drinking from a spoon?  This is silly....I'm done!"  :)  I also don't think that I got the recipe quite right.  I made the cereal myself after milling the rice & cooking it.  It didn't dilute well with breastmilk so it was a little chewy.  So, the next day we just bought rice cereal to feed him.  I'm going to keep trying to make it, but I don't have time in the evenings during the week.   Since his first feeding, I have been making the cereal much thicker.  Gabe actually eats it very well & seems mad when he has to wait between bites.  I know patience is going to be something we work on for many years to come.

This last Saturday, David started feeding Gabe too.  We started him on acorn squash, & he seems to enjoy it a lot more than the cereal.  Maybe it's because there is some real taste.  So far the boys have continued to do well during the day with eating.  He now eats twice a day, squash with Daddy around noon & cereal with Mommy at supper time.  We will probably continue to introduce new foods every Saturday.  Up next are sweet potatoes, green beans & maybe mashed bananas. 

Gabe has also been making strides in sitting up.  He was gradually getting stronger & stronger & then all of a sudden he just started sitting up fine.  He now will sit & play for 5 mins or even longer.  He looks like such a big boy sitting on his own!! :) 

All in all Gabe is such a good little boy.  He wakes up with a smile on his face & seems happy to be with either of us.  We are very blessed to have him & so excited to see him grow.


Eating for the first time.


Talking between bites.


Waiting for the cereal to be ready.


David feeding Gabe for the first time.



 Sitting up & playing with his blocks.


Cheesing for the camera.




Sitting by himself in the middle of the couch.


This particular day Gabe was happy just to look out the window & pound on the glass. 

No comments:

Post a Comment