My mother has always been an advocate for making your own baby food, so I really didn't even think twice about the fact that I would be doing it sometime soon. With Gabe quickly approaching that 6 month mark, I have been trying to decide how to tackle this since mom & dad had moved to Illinois. Luckily, she was visiting this past Saturday so I took the opportunity to make her work. :) It really is quite a simple process of cooking the veggies, pureeing them with a blender & pouring them into ice cube trays to freeze for later. In about five & a half hours time, we froze 6 different vegetables in 26 1/2 ice cube trays. We made green beans, carrots, peas, corn, sweet potatoes & acorn squash. Needless to say Gabe will have plenty of food for a while. Now that there is some food in the freezer I actually feel ready to start him on solids. I was a little hesitant before but am getting excited now. I just want to see his face as he tries new things & learns to like real food. He has a checkup next week & then we will probably start cereal. I am going to be experimenting with making my own cereal too. I'm hoping to be able to make large batches of brown rice cereal & freeze it instead of using the dehydrated enriched white rice cereal we could buy. I don't know anyone that has actually done this so it will definitely be a learning process as I figure out the best way to make it. I think all three of us are looking forward to solids now. I am just wondering what kind of mess I will be coming home to when David starts feeding Gabe. :)

The two freezers full of trays.
The end product: 10 bags of veggie cubes.
No comments:
Post a Comment