On Wednesday evening of this week, Gabe & I were in the nursery getting ready for his bath. I had just finished clipping his fingernails, & he was wearing only a diaper when the lights went out. We both just looked at each other for a few moments, waiting for them to blink back on. I then picked Gabe up to investigate further. Our entire house was out, along with everyone along our street. It must have been quite the site to see me in my pjs, holding Gabe in a diaper standing at the end of our driveway in a slight drizzle. We hurried back inside, woke up David to let him know & called the electric company. I decided that we couldn't wait around all night, so I lit six candles & told Gabe we were taking a bath. He was very entertained by the candles & seemed to be fine with the idea that he was bathing in near darkness. I'm very glad we had hot water!! After as good a washing as possible, he got lotioned up & in his pjs. One candle went with us to the bedroom to be his nightlight & to bed he went....without his music, his fan or his monitor. It was actually very peaceful without all of the typical mechanical noise (like the air conditioning) around our house. He passed out in no time, & I headed out to do my nightly "chores" in the dark. I just had to chuckle to myself as I moved the candles out into the living room/kitchen & walked around with a flashlight. I ended up being able to get some dishes done, sort through the mail & pick up the other random debris that finds its way out during the day. I was just about to consider going to bed when the lights came back on so I could use the computer. All in all it was not very convenient, but it was a nice break from all the bright lights & noise of normal life. We definitely made the most of the situation as life continued on. But an hour & a half was long enough!

Gabe was fascinated by the candles.
Gabe in the tub with his candles.
How dark it really was without my camera flash.
No comments:
Post a Comment